OK, so your manager asks you the question: How many computers don’t have Symantec Antivirus (SAV) installed?
You reply that you will find out and get right back to her. You open up Admin Arsenal and then just kind of stare at your screen. Hmmm, how are you going to display all computers that DON’T have SAV installed? Isn’t that kind of like a professor asking all people who aren’t present to raise their hands? There are two roads that we can take to show systems without SAV. Both include using Dynamic Collections.
- From your main Admin Arsenal window select New Dynamic Collection from the Container menu.
- Give the collection name something useful such as: “Systems WITHOUT SAV”.
- Change the match operator to “Not Any”.
- In the main filter body change the first filter to “Software Name” and use the operator “contains”. In the field following “contains” type in: “Symantec Antivirus”.
- Save and close your new collections window.
When you highlight your new collection you will see all machines that do not have Symantec Antivirus.
You can get the same result as our first example using two collections. While, on the face of it, it would seem asinine to create two collections when you can get the same results from one, there may be times when you will want to create two collections. Suppose you would like a collection that shows all systems WITHOUT SAV as well as a collection that shows all systems WITH SAV.
- Create two Dynamic Collections and name them something like “Systems with SAV” and “SystemsWITHOUT SAV”, respectively.
- In the “Systems with SAV” add the filter: “Software Name contains Symantec Antivirus”.
- In your second collection (the “Systems WITHOUT SAV”), change the filter to show collection with the operator “not member of”. You can select the appropriate name of the collection from the drop down list.
The second collection will simply show all computers that are NOT members of the collection “Systems with SAV”. Since the “Systems with SAV” collection only reports computers that have Symantec Antivirus installed, then creating a collection to display only computers NOT in the “Systems with SAV” will show you all computers that do not have Symantec Antivirus installed.
Clear as mud? Try it out. Of course you can substitute SAV with any application you want. Remember, collections are here to make your job easier.