This is probably my most hated error in Windows administration. It is, I have concluded, a boneyard or “catch all” error that can mean just about anything. I finally ran across a solution which, commonly, seems to fix the problem in XP and 2003 (I’m still looking for a good solution for Vista and Windows 7). You do need to run a command on the target machine. I use the Remote Command feature in Admin Arsenal, this way I don’t have to actually visit the target system(s). Here is the command you need to run and NO, there isn’t a typo.
SC sdset SharedAccess D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
If anyone has any other suggestions for the dreaded catch-all RPC Server error, PLEASE let me know.