PDQ Inventory 16 is now available. This version comes with one of our highest requested features so far— the optional Agent.
To enable alerts for new versions of PDQ products, click Options > Preferences > Alerts (or press Ctrl+Comma) and check Auto Update Check Enabled. Once saved, click A new version is available in the status bar to download and install the new version.
Without further ado, let’s dive right in.
While PDQ products will always remain agentless by default, we are now including an optional Agent. This is a service installed on computers in the PDQ Inventory database that can be used to perform tasks that would normally require a direct connection and use of the normal PDQ Inventory service. The Agent requires Enterprise mode running Central Server.
What benefit does the Agent bring?
We will be continuing to add to the Agent’s capabilities; however, on its first iteration, it will provide two main capabilities that the normal PDQ Inventory service cannot:
- Connect to computers outside your network using a connection to PDQ.com servers.
- Monitor the target computer for specific events and report accordingly. The Agent can watch for events rather than poll for them.
Okay, now what?
You will need to install and configure the Agent on each computer. This is available through the console for computers that are on your network and with just a couple files for those that are not on your network. The product documentation outlines these processes in great detail.
There are multiple ways to view information about the Agent:
- Agent page of the Computer window.
- Three new columns on the collection pages.
- New collections in the Collection Library.
You probably have a number of questions, so please visit our PDQ Agent: Frequently Asked Questions.
Files & Directories Scanner
The Files Scanner no longer just scans for files, you can now scan for Directories. Introducing the Files & Directories Scanner. The Files page of the Computer window has also been renamed to Files & Directories.
Here is just a taste of some of the other additions and fixes, that are no less important:
- Auto Reports now have the ability to overwrite a previous report file.
- •Added the ‘AD Is Disabled’ column to the All Computers page. This is also available as a filter in Collections and Reports.
- •Registry scanners can now return results that include keys with no values.
- Performance Improvements.
- Computers added through Network Discovery now display the full IP address as the Computer Name.
- Multiple fixes to WMI scanner and WMI page of the Computer window, including:
- The columns listed in the WMI page of the Computer window now update accurately when the WMI scanner is edited.
- Occasionally an export or import of WMI scanners caused errors.
- Error messages are more intuitive when deleting WMI scanners tied to Dynamic Collections or Reports.
- The list of WMI scanners in the WMI page of the Computer window is now sorted by scanner name and not scan profile name.
- Variables containing multiple underscores now display their values correctly.
- PDQ Deploy packages created from a custom tool are now populating correctly.
- Integration with PDQ Deploy now works with computers that have special characters in their hostnames.
- With PDQ Deploy 16 or earlier, deployment to External Agents that are triggered by the PDQ Inventory Heartbeat will fail.
- Multiple fixes to Auto Reports including:
- Not displaying all columns.
- White font in emails with Metropolis Dark theme.
- Scrolling issues when selecting reports.
- Formatting differences between manual reports and Auto Reports.
- Not all WMI columns were displaying on Auto Reports.
- PDF was not wrapping text.
- Tools occasionally were not capturing output.
- Scans to offline computers now display the scan status of ‘Offline Settings’ without having to restart the console.
- Changes to Scan Profile names now display correctly and do not require a restart.
- Moving collections to other collections no longer creates duplicates.